Sunday, June 26, 2011

It was like Christmas


I need to thank Jennifer for today's find.  If it weren't for her, this treasure would be home with someone else, and I just can't stomach the thought.  She introduced me to the luggage section of Red Rack a few days ago.  I didn't know it existed until then.

So today as I made my rounds, I decided to finish up my browsing with a sweep of the luggage area.  I have a soft spot for vintage pieces..

Immediately, I spotted this.......


I snatched it up and noticed it was very heavy.  I decided to have a peek inside.

And it took my breath away.........


Could it really be?  A matching smaller one nesting inside?  My heart was racing.  And singing.

So I decided to open that one also, and what to my wondering eyes should appear????  No, not a miniature sleigh and eight tiny reindeer.  It was better than that.......


Get out.

Shut UP!

NO WAY!

ANOTHER ONE?


At this point, I lost all sense of reality.  I think I might have done a little jig or jump of some sort.  And I was for sure talking to myself.  Out loud.

But it wasn't over yet.

The darn things weren't priced.  And I feared the worst.  How much was I willing to pay for these pristine beauties?  I kept thinking about it as I approached the counter.  I put on my best smile.  Took a deep breath.  And asked.

Oh great.  Manager had to be paged.  Another round of smiling and deep breathing when manager approaches.

Maybe some eyelash batting too. 

And then a Christmas miracle happened.  As if finding three matching vintage suitcases wasn't enough.  This angel of a manager uttered the most beautiful phrase I may ever hear...

"Oh, how about five bucks?"

And I fainted.

Not really, but almost.

I did hug him though.

Not awkward!

Now.......to keep or not to keep?  That is the question.

I just don't see how I could part with these beauties.


3 comments:

  1. I feel like this is a "Marsha, Marsha, Marsha" moment! Some people have all the luck! And you must sell them! When will you be traveling with three matching suitcases and paying an extra baggage fee? Think about the money!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love them! Had a very similar one that we used to keep our Barbie clothes in when we were little. Have you heard of the vintage suitcase dog bed?? It would fit perfectly in your house. I'll email you a pic of one my friend did.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am almost positive my mom had these suitcases at some point a very long time ago. I have vivid memories of these because I think I stored my Barbies in one or two of them. We also had some red hardback ones that were similarish. Now I want to see if she still has them or not.

    ReplyDelete