Saturday, July 12, 2008

Dedicated to Whitney

Whitney.......since Emma's first word was patina, I thought I'd provide you with its definition as stated in Miriam-Webster's Online Dictionary. The definition in which I used patina is definition 1b. Now if you are ever in a spelling bee, you will not need to ask for this additional information, as you are now well informed (I even provided the etymology)! I'll even use it in another sentence for you: The vintage sign had a great patina which reflected its authenticity.

Patina: pa·ti·na
Pronunciation: \pa-'tē-na\
Function: noun
Etymology: Italian, from Latin
Date: 1748

Definitions:
1 a: a usually green film formed naturally on copper and bronze by long exposure or artificially (as by acids) and often valued aesthetically for its color

1 b: a surface appearance of something grown beautiful especially with age or use

2: an appearance or aura that is derived from association, habit, or established character

3: a superficial covering or exterior

http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/patina

2 comments:

  1. (Use your mental Napoleon Dynamite voice to read this.)

    Dang, I was JUST thinking to myself today... "That sign's exterior, or superficial covering, is so beautifully aged and/or used." I really could've used that knowledge 11 hours ago so that I didn't have to think of so many words. Ughh... Thanks for being there for me, Danavee. There's an old saying... "A day late and 55 dollars short. Goshhhhh."

    ReplyDelete
  2. I need to recognize and applaud the reason I know the word patina. I give all the credit to Antique's Roadshow. When the Keno twins appraised that antique Roccoco style cabinet and discussed in detail the patina of the original finish, I gained a new word in my vocabulary....mainly due to the use of context clues. Thank you Keno twins and thank you Roadshow!

    ReplyDelete