Sunday, January 27, 2013

Cilantro Lime Chicken Bake


In my efforts to be thrifty lately, I've been planning ahead in the kitchen.  Pantry checking, Pinterest stalking, and list making.  

Last week I was craving one of my own recipes which would require limes and cilantro.  Then I discovered I had recently pinned a casserole that called for both of those ingredients.

I like trying to maximize on similar ingredients, so there is no waste.  I hate having to throw out unused produce.  So limes and cilantro went on the list.

When it was time to make the casserole, I realized it called for three different recipes.  BUT with some shortcuts and my own adaptations, it didn't take as long as I thought.  And it was outstanding........


Cilantro Lime Chicken Bake
(adapted from original source)

1 lb. of boneless, skinless chicken breast
3 limes
a bundle of cilantro (about 2 cups chopped)
2 cloves of garlic, minced
1/2 teas. salt
1/4 teas. pepper
2 teas. sugar
1 cup instant white rice
1 15 oz. can chicken broth
1 tbsp butter
8 oz. sour cream
package of shredded pepperjack cheese
tortilla chips
jar of salsa verde
ranch dressing (optional)

To prepare the chicken, place it in the crock pot along with the juice and zest of two limes.  Chop 1/2 cup of cilantro and add to the crock pot along with the salt, pepper, sugar, and minced garlic.  Divide the chicken broth, setting aside 3/4 cup for the rice.  Add the remaining broth to the crock pot.  Set the crock pot to low, and cook for 6-ish hours.  Shred the chicken when cooked.

Prepare the rice right before you are ready to assemble the casserole.  Add 3/4 cup of chicken broth and a tbsp of butter to a saucepan, and bring it to a boil.  Add the cup of rice, 1/2 cup chopped cilantro, and juice from one lime.  Cover and remove from heat.  Let it stand for about five minutes, then stir.  (I found this rice recipe to be quicker than the original version.)

Preheat oven to 350.  Grease a 9 x 9 baking dish.  Layer all of the rice on bottom.  Add the shredded chicken next.  Spread 8 oz. of sour cream over the chicken, then pour the salsa verde over the sour cream.  Sprinkle pepperjack cheese over the top.  Bake for 20 minutes or until the cheese is melted and bubbly.

Serve with a side of tortilla chips and top with ranch dressing.  Yields about four large servings.

 *   *   *   *

Whew.

That was a mouthful.

But I swear it is worth it.



42 comments:

  1. I swear, I think that I pinned that same recipe. Thanks for testing it out. It looks delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh my that looks so delish! I'll have to make this for the hubs

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! Yes, it is tasty!!!! Hope he likes it!

      Delete
  3. Oh yum! Might have to try this one! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sounds yummy! i'm going to pin this so I can make it sometime!

    -AJ
    FitTravelerAJ.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. this sounds delicious!

    http://www.mythriftychic.com/

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love this recipe. Cilantro and Lime is such a great mix! Your newest follower via GFC Blog hop. Visit me.

    Vickie
    OhAbbyDay.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is exactly the sort of thing I like to make. I've tried to be better at planning ahead in the kitchen as well...it's SO hard, though!

    ReplyDelete
  8. This is going on my meal planning list. Pronto. Meal planning is a tough thing for me to do long term, but boy does it make life easier. Thanks for sharing...I'm happy to now be following along!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Sounds delicious!! Thanks for sharing! Stopping by and now following your blog from #YoloMonday. I hope you have a great day!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. This sounds amazing. I am such a cilantro freak. (I've read that most people are genetically predisposed to either love or hate it -- I'm definitely in the "love" camp. :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. yum!! I hate cooking chicken and always love recipes where you can do it in the crock pot!

    ReplyDelete
  12. And there it is....the recipe I was curious about! Holy moly, yes! I am making this!! Love anything with cilantro!!! You are a cooking genius!! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  13. This sounds amazing, I will definitely be trying this! I am your newest follower!

    Christi
    http://the-not-so-perfect-momblog.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  14. This sounds delicious and looks like something my husband would love. I'm going to have to give it a try.

    Rebecca
    rebeccaslittlecorner.blogspot.com

    p.s. following you now!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Yummmmmmm! Trying this out next week for sure!!
    Kyna

    ReplyDelete
  16. That sounds sooo yummy! I have a crock pot but I've never used it. I'm too scared to leave it on with the dogs alone at home.

    -Sharon
    The Tiny Heart
    Sephora Giveaway!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, I only use mine on the weekend, when I'm mostly home! I totally get that!

      Delete
  17. yum!! i am a vegetarian, and this still sounds good. anything with cilantro, lime, cheese and sour cream will be delicious!! i might have to adapt it for myself!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ohhhh! If you do, please let me know how you did it!!!

      Delete
  18. Mouthwateringly delicious, a must try recipe! thank you for sharing :)

    http://monstermagpie.blogspot.com/
    https://www.facebook.com/magicmagpie666

    ReplyDelete
  19. thank you for linking up with us! Your meal looks delicious and making me hungry ;)

    ReplyDelete
  20. I love casseroles, I'm gonna have to make this!

    ReplyDelete
  21. oh my god, this looks divine. i am definitely making this!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Well this does look delicious!! I also love finding recipes to use up all of my ingredients!

    ReplyDelete
  23. This sounds sooo yummy! I can't wait to try it.

    ReplyDelete
  24. I've been really into the flavor of cilantro lately. I just made a great noodle dish you might like: http://www.simplelivingeating.com/2013/01/french-fridays-with-dorie-shrimp-and.html
    If you get a chance bring this dish by foodie friday today.

    ReplyDelete
  25. That looks so yummy! Thanks for sharing

    ReplyDelete
  26. Stopping by from the Pinteresting Party linkup. You've been pinned! Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much!!!!!!!!!! :)

      Delete
    2. The cilantro lime chicken bake is a tasty dish. You have shared a wonderful recipe
      Singapore bars

      Delete
  27. I'm making this tonight. Thanks for sharing your version. I have the original version up and am slightly confused. I'll be using your version. I can't wait for dinner!

    ReplyDelete
  28. We love your recipe, its delicious! Thank you for sharing it!

    ReplyDelete